DIY Galvanized Pipe Closet

DIY Galvanized Pipe Closet

Moving from a one bedroom to a four bedroom (!!!) really opened up our options for space - I finally was able to move all of my LuLaRoe inventory into our extra bedroom and turn it into a LuLaRoom and office! Chipper and I talked previously about building some custom racks to hold everything, and now that we have the space, it was time to kick the project off - our first DIY project in the new place!

We quickly found out that no good DIY project is finished with only one Home Depot trip. We measured things what felt like ten times and sketched everything out. Our original plan was based off of a couple other online DIYs we found, and modified for our space and needs. Off we went Home Depot to get our supplies. We decided to go with 1/2" black steel galvanized because it was a little cheaper, and while we knew we'd have to clean the pipes before putting them up, we did not realize how thick the grease coating was on every piece. We spent several hours with degreaser, soap and water, and scrubbing pads to scrub the pipes clean. This is honestly what took the most time for the entire project.

 Chipper removing grease from the galvanized pipes. The third dog in the picture is my brother-in-law's dog who also happened to be staying with us at the time.

Chipper removing grease from the galvanized pipes. The third dog in the picture is my brother-in-law's dog who also happened to be staying with us at the time.

Once we got all the grease off, we loosely built the entire rack system on our deck so that we could see it together and troubleshoot any areas before we'd moved everything into the LuLaRoom. And of course, we re-measured again to make sure the way we had it would fit on the wall as we'd hoped. Seeing it all laid out was when it really started to get fun; it was exciting to see all our work start to come together.

I cleaned out my LuLa Room and we decided it was best to start from the ground up. We used 1/2" floor flanges as the base and went up 72" on each side. We used 1/2" T connections to make the first horizontal rod which was 36" across to another T connection. The middle section I wanted two hanging rods to hold my Classic Tees, Randys, and Skirts. They were spaced 36" apart. Everything fit perfectly. The third section mirrored the first section, so it was relatively easy to replicate. We used a 1/2" elbow and an 8" piece to another 1/2" to attach to the wall.

Chipper used some interior wood framing screws to mount the flanges into the wall which matched the industrial look of the pipe closet.

Chipper attaching the flanges to the wall.

I am so happy with how sturdy this closet system is - and it holds so much inventory! We originally thought about going with 3/4" thick pipe, but opted for the 1/2" because of the cost difference and after talking with someone at Home Depot, we determined that the 1/2" should be plenty strong. We probably saved around $100 and the 1/2" is more than strong enough to hold up everything.

I knew I would want a few shelves to store shipping supplies and to free up more space wherever I could. One other DIY Pipe Closet project we looked at used one big piece of 1"x12" that was about 12 feet long. Chipper got this same size board at Home Depot and he had to work hard to make it "fit" in the car! I found some cool grey stain and sealant that was a cool color to match the industrial look. It took a few days to apply the few coats of the stain and the wood ended up warping. We tried to salvage it, but the whole closet system was thrown off by the warped wood. We ended up scrapping the one long shelf, mounted the closet as it was, and figured we'd determine the best shelving later. Once everything was up, Chipper looked at the place where we originally thought of having a shelf, and decided that we could do three different shelves at slightly varied heights. This ended up looking much better at the end, and was super easy to add once the whole closet system was in place. We got a few more boards, shorter than the original 12 feet we planned on, and stained them the same grey, and installed each. 

Overall it holds around 800 pieces of inventory - which is so helpful. It is so much easier to stay organized when everything is readily available. 

This was a fun DIY project and ended up being exactly what I wanted. 

All About LuLaRoe Leggings

All About LuLaRoe Leggings

All About the LuLaRoe Carly

All About the LuLaRoe Carly

Heap | Mobile and Web Analytics